Wednesday 25 September 2013

I cried for her


I am a Muslim woman and most people have already made assumptions about me before even meeting me. Some think I do not respect the culture and law of my country, Australia. Why? Because of how I dress, act, and sometimes the way I remove myself from certain parts of society. Ironically, I was born as an Aussie and so were my great great great grandparents. 


As a Muslim in Australia, I am often referenced for being a metaphorical slap in the face to Australian culture. I am often referred to being someone who wants to change the Australian Law and ruin Christmas. Laughable to many, this constant painting of Muslims as rather antisocial citizens who want to ruin everything kind of gets on my nerves. It's slightly annoying and more often than not upsetting. It's always "US" and "THEM". 


Despite being referred to as "THEM", I still feel Australian. I am still a part of this country and take a large interest in its current affairs. I took particular interest in the story of 31-year-old Alicia Gali who was sentenced to jail for being raped in Dubai. You can read the story here: Mamamia Article. Essentially she reported the rape to police and in doing so admitted consuming alcohol and having premarital sex (through rape!). She was sentenced to 12 months jail but was pardoned after 8 months. 

I know I can repeat what many Aussies say when discussing the burqa or anything to do with the way Muslims live in this country. I can stoop real low and say "If you come here you then need to obey the laws and follow the culture". But in reality that is not how I feel. I find a lot of hypocrisy in the UAE. I find the law in the case of rape a severe injustice to victims of sexual crimes. I feel that if you allow alcohol to be served in hotels in your country then you can't punish people for drinking in those hotels. But wait…. I am a Muslim and yes I do live my life in accordance to Sharia (it’s more a lifestyle than a law). But I am human and I acknowledge that sexual crimes against women are too prevalent in this world. I feel am I a part of a larger sisterhood and it hurts me when women are victims of sexual crimes and are treated as criminals. 


Jill Meagher was sadly a victim of a sexual crime.


It baffles me that the law has not evolved to include advance technology such as rape kits in determining rape. The UAE needs to use logic in rape cases as well as treating the case with sensitivity and compassion. As these laws are essentially Islamic we must not to forget that as Muslims we are taught to protect women and the treat women kindly with compassion and mercy. Maybe UAE enact these virtues by changing there laws to include rape kits as evidence.


I know that despite writing this I will still receive comments regarding Muslim men as oppressors of women and that Muslims do not respect Australian Law.  But I hope… I hope this makes people wonder whether the world is “US” and “THEM” or rather just “US”, humanity.


May Alicia find peace and healing in this life and comfort from the ones she loves.


No comments:

Post a Comment