Wednesday 25 September 2013

No Baby Bonus, No more baby plans.


Where do I go from now?

We live on a single income. We live this way because I am raising my son. I do not complain much about our financial situation as it’s just the three of us and we get by. I had taken maternity leave when I gave birth to my son and I enjoyed the financial stability for the few months I received it.

The maternity leave allowed me to ease into the financial strain of having a baby. We did not live lavishly but we were able to afford the most important items like the pram and a nursery. The funds were put to good use.

We made plans soon after the birth of my son to wait 2 years before having the next one. In the meantime I could stay home and raise my son because returning to work would mean I wouldn’t get to cherish those early days and what was the point if I wanted to fall pregnant so soon?

Our financial cushion, the Baby Bonus, would give us the need finances and peace of mind when number two came along. Unfortunately that bonus has been scrapped now and our plan to have a family with two children close together is looking bleak. I am heartbroken and confused.

So I am feeling a little ripped off to say the least. In fact a family like mine who is living of one income whilst I raise my baby is now unable to receive any financial help if they decided to expand. On the other hand, in a two-income family the mother will receive for 4.5 months a minimum wage.

I am not your dole bludger. I receive only the tax benefit and not the full amount.  I have just planned to have a block of my life set aside for babies and the rest set aside for my career.

What are my options if I don’t receive a baby bonus that significantly helps my one income family? Get a job, work three months, fall pregnant, and quit after eight? Not only does that really impact my career (it looks irresponsible), it’s also a pain in the backside for my employer. Essentially they would be getting used for the Paid Parental Leave.

But this is my option now. I can’t afford another child on a single income. We have dreams and we are not so young anymore to not think about our financial future. So those who think that scrapping the baby bonus gets rid of irresponsible parents then think again. It affects people’s life plans. If I had known it would have been scrapped, I would have had my second earlier. I may have returned to work already. Arguing that removing the baby bonus is okay because we have paid parental leave does not help the women who are stay at home mums or women dedicating a time out for children.

We all have our plans and tonight mine has just been threatened. I just have to remember God is a better planner and he already has his plans for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment