Wednesday 25 September 2013

Sisters' House helped me find myself


Alhumdulillah, I became a Muslim in early 2010. Before and shortly after becoming Muslim I always felt as though I did not fit in. I had very little confidence and held back in most situations. After becoming a Muslim I also had the same worries many new Muslims faced, the lack of support and the alienation of those who did not accept my choices.

After getting married in late 2010 I moved to Kuraby knowing very little of the area except for the masjid. I had felt extremely lonely but that all changed when someone referred me onto a wonderful organisation called Sisters House. At first I came to meet other sisters through the Revert Support Group and then I attended more and more community functions.

Sisters’ House gave me a place to feel comfortable and find like-minded sisters. We shared our experiences and supported each other through various life experiences. It was the first time I felt connected so closely to so many people; people from all over the world who treated each and every sister equally.

Recently Sisters’ House held a fundraising dinner to raise the much-needed funds that had depleted after moving to a new location. Sisters’ House endeavours to hold two major events annually with the fundraising dinner held at Michaels Oriental being the main event and opportunity to raise the funds Sisters’ House desperately relies on.

The Sisters’ House committee of volunteers worked tirelessly to organise the event. Their efforts provided a night filled with a delicious dinner, games and a charity auction in which donated items from various local businesses were auctioned off. Sisters’ House would like to thank all those businesses who donated items to the auction as the auction raised much need funds for Sisters’ House.

Not long ago I was invited to become a member of the Sisters’ House committee as a volunteer. I jumped at the chance because I wanted to give back to the Sisters’ House.  Sisters’ House provides more than accommodation but it’s also a place where all sisters are welcome and a place we can all meet in a comfortable and safe environment. Sisters’ House has an atmosphere inviting to everyone and for me personally it has allowed me to become the person I want to be. That is why it is essential that our community support Sisters’ House so that it can continue to be an important part of the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment